The Action Max was a video game console made in 1987 by Worlds of Wonder. The main format for the system was VHS tapes and required a VCR to work, with the system focusing on keeping score. In order to play the games, a red sensor would be placed on the lower part of the screen that would light up allowing players to shoot the targets.
Why it Flopped
- The only style of gameplay for the system was the light gun genre.
- Because nothing would happen on the screen even if you hit the target, the appeal of the Action Max was very limited indeed.
- Only 5 games were made for the system, with a sixth game unreleased.
- .38 Ambush Alley (police target range)
- Blue Thunder (based on the eponymous 1983 motion picture)
- Hydrosub: 2021 (futuristic underwater voyage)
- The Rescue of Pops Ghostly (comic haunted-house adventure)
- Sonic Fury (aerial combat; bundled with system)
- Fright Night (unreleased game)