Akira (アキラ) is a platforming game released in 1994 for the Amiga and Amiga CD32 by ICE Software. It is based on Katsuhiro Otomo’s movie of same name, itself based on a manga of the same name, also by Otomo.
Why it Sucks
- Bland graphics.
- You can't have music and SFX at the same time.
- The game is so impossibly difficult that review magazines at the time had to use passwords in order to see the later levels
- The first stage is a side-scrolling racing segment similar to the third stage of Battletoads, which requires perfect memorization with zero margin for error.
- Enemies take a lot of punishment while your characters die in two or three hits.
- Collision detection is so bad that when platforming you'll often fall through the edges of platforms.
- In level 3 you're forced to find keycards to progress, but you can't backtrack to collect missing ones, basically leaving you stuck until you die.
- The fourth stage is impossible to beat, due to a platform which is placed beyond the reach of your jump.