Alone in the Dark is the fifth installment of the survival horror video game series under the same name created by Infogrames/Atari and is a reboot of the series developed by Eden Games. It was originally released on the Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, Wii and PlayStation 2 in June of 2008, and a PlayStation 3 version (subtitled Inferno) was released in 2009. This page will only focus on the Xbox 360, Windows, Wii and PS2 versions.
Why it sucks
- Bad and convoluted plot.
- Cheesy dialogue, especially from protagonist Edward Carnby. (Eg, "I don't have your stone! And fuck you anyway!")
- The item combination mechanic is very confusing and frustrating (items have to be combined in a very specific order).
- Several bugs and glitches, especially in inferior ports such as the PS2.
- The car driving sequences are terrible.
- Poor collision detection and physics.
- Switching from first to third person perspectives becomes tedious and tiresome.
- Boring and repetitive combat.
- Very limited and restricted item storage.
- Some puzzles feel uninspired and "boggy".
- Melee combat can only be handled in third-person, while weapons can only be used in first-person.