Awesome Possum... Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt is a platformer game released in 1993 for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis by Tengen. The game jumps on the early 90's Mascot Craze started by Sonic.
The evil Dr. Machino has created a army of robots and is destroying the environment, so the Awesome Possum sent on to stop his fiendish plans.
Why it Sucks
- The game is a shameless Sonic the Hedgehog rip-off.
- Awesome Possum, the main character of the game, has a lot of voiceovers, which are really annoying and play all the time. You can turn this off though.
- Terrible protagonist and mascot (much worse than Bubsy) and tries too hard to be cool! According to the box, his name is actually Awesome.
- Awful stage design. The character runs fast and jumps high, but the stage layouts were not made taking these into consideration (much like Bubsy). Not only that but the stages are just a random mishmash of things without any thought put into it.
- Despite a good variety of enemies, they all follow the same pattern of walking left and right, including bosses.
- Enemies take a lot of punishment before being defeated.
- Choppy inconsistent frame rate which maxes out at 30 frames per second despite games such as High Seas Havoc running at smooth 60 FPS.
- Ugly graphics.
- Environmental lessons shoehorned into the game.
- Hypocrisy: if this game was made to promote saving the environment, the cartridge and manual and boxes are not eco-friendly.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- You do actually kick Doctor Machino in the butt at the end, so the title doesn't lie at least.