Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning is a first-person survival horror game developed by mystman12 in 2018. This game was inspired by some creepy/bad edutainment games from the 90's such as Sonic's Schoolhouse, I.M. Meen, and 3D Dinosaur Adventure: Save the Dinosaurs.
There is a joke reverse version of this article here.
"Oh, Noes! School is out, but your friend has a problem! He left all his notebooks in school but doesn't have time to go get them, because if he does he'll be late for eating practice. To help him out, you have to go back to the school and find all 7 of his notebooks. It won't be easy though! Baldi loves challenging his students with fun trivia problems whenever he can! Each time you find a notebook, you'll have to answer some questions. Answer all 3 correctly, and you will earn a prize! Find all 7 notebooks, and then exit the school, to win!"
Why It Sucks
NOTE: This game is actually a joke, so it's obviously meant to be bad.
- The game is basically an unfinished game. An example is when you start the game up, there is a Unity configuration pop-up.
- The theme song and music are borderline inaudible.
- Nearly everything is in Comic Sans, which is utter laziness.
- The title screen. (It's on this page as an image).
- The graphics are horrible. They even make Sonic's Schoolhouse look good, when these graphics make Sonic's Schoolhouse as lame as it ever was.
- You can only go through doors if you're holding 2 notebooks.
- The game is rarely even scary or anything horrifying to begin with.
- The 3rd question of every notebook starting with Notebook #2 is always the same thing (and no, you can't answer it correctly).
- Whenever you get a math question wrong, Baldi will get mad at you over getting a question wrong, even if you were trying to get it right in the first place. This is something what the GoAnimate/Vyond grounded videos would do, get mad at a student over a wrong answer.
- The Playtime Girl is annoying. Every time you run into her, you have to play jump rope. And if you miss one jump, you have to do it over again. Thankfully, safety scissors were added in an update that let you cut her jump rope.
- EVERY DOOR NUMBER IS 99. This makes it hard to navigate through the school, seeing that every door has the same number.
- Sometimes, Baldi speaks EXTREMELY LOUD, in fact, you can still hear Baldi's voice whenever he yells even if your volume is low!
- If you break any of the school rules such as "No running in the halls" with the Principal of the Thing being around, he will put you in the detention room for a certain period of time. 15-Second Detention might not sound so bad, but if Baldi is nearby, you're pretty much finished. And it's worse when there is 30-Second Detention because Baldi will usually just get you anyway.
- The tape recorder distracts Baldi, but it is kind of worthless since you can use the Soda right away. (And apparently, it starts as a House/Pay Phone, but it transforms into a tape recorder. What the hell?)
- It's a Bully. Every time you touch him, he takes one of your items, which is annoying. (Though after patch v1.3, The Principal can detain him)
- Random objects pop out of nowhere whenever you are playing the game.
- The unbearable voice acting. The voices are filled to the brim with ear rape and have no emotion or charm to them.
- The game has really bad, but mostly awful looking animation, especially by modern standards.
- The game feels more like a Friv game than an actual video game.
- Every time you lose the game, you start all over again from scratch, which makes the game impossible to win and you will end up feeling very angry frustrated to no end, even worse, you would lose your temper by throwing a temper tantrum or start complaining and sulking whenever you keep on losing.
- The game is somewhat a rip off of Slender. Basically, it's like Slender, but in a school (which has been done already).
- Why does the chalkboard say the word "dab" in one line?
- TOO MUCH EAR RAPEY AUDIO BLASTING KIND OF AUDIO!!!
- As stated earlier, this is a joke game, so it's meant to be bad.
- This game is meant to be a throwback to 90s PC edutainment games, like Sonic's Schoolhouse.
- The gameplay is surprisingly well.
- The game got a nice update, which added new things, such as mechanics and items to help you, like a spray to make doors silent, safety scissors which can cut Playtime's ropes, The Principal of the Thing sending the bully to detention and 1st Prize, a hug-loving robot that serves as an ally to the player. But it, however, turns very slowly.
- The game has an Endless Mode, a nice alternative if you got bored playing the story mode.
- Recent updates added more endings, which are pretty intriguing.
- There is plenty of useful things you can use to protect yourself from Baldi.
- The principal’s quote “No running in the halls” became a meme, as well as the Broom’s quote “GOTTA SWEEP, SWEEP, SWEEP!”.
- Amazing replay value.
- The concept of mixing an education and horror game together is an interesting idea.
- As bad as it is, it still has a fun challenge.
Reception and Reviews
This game received overwhelmingly negative reviews and negative reactions.