Battleship is the name of two video games based on the film of the same name (which in turn is based on the board game Battleship), both of them published by Activision in 2012. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions are a first-person shooter developed by Double Helix Games while the Wii, DS and 3DS versions are a turn-based strategy game developed by Magic Pockets.
Why it sucks
Note that this is for the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.
- Despite being based on a strategic board game the game is actually a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.
- The game can be beaten in 4 hours and yet was released for a full retail price of $60.
- There are only 7 levels which are criticized for being repetitive.
- The game have only 5 weapons : Handgun, Shotgun, Rifle, Alien Machine Gun and Alien Sniper Rifle.
- There is no additional content such as multiplayer mode or extras.
- All allied AI have their entire faces covered up with balaclavas and goggles because the devs were too lazy to give them proper facial animations.
- No story whatsoever. In fact, it has barely anything to do with the movie, other than the fact that it takes place in Hawaii and involved the same alien species.
- Poor graphics.
- There are no characters from the movie anywhere in the game.
- Very poor AI.
- There is no challenge in killing the enemy ships during the RTS segments. Just spam the missiles and they die.
- The game has a ticket included to see the movie. AFTER PLAYING THIS GAME, YOU WANT TO SEE ANY MOVIE BESIDES BATTLESHIP.
Like the movie it's based on, the game received negative reviews from critics and gamers alike. Notably, Angry Joe gave this game a 2/10 (Epic Fail) calling it garbage and of poor value.