Battleship is the name of two video games based on the film of the same name (which in turn is based on the board game Battleship), both of them published by Activision in 2012. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions are a first-person shooter developed by Double Helix Games while the Wii, DS, and 3DS versions are a turn-based strategy game developed by Magic Pockets.
Why it Sucks
Note that this is for the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.
- Despite being based on a strategic board game as a whole, the game is actually a FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER. This wiki has an article that lists why most FPSes seem to have gone backwards but this is just making yourself look like a dummy on purpose!
- The game can be beaten in 4 hours and yet was released for a full retail price of $60.
- There are only 7 levels which are criticized for being repetitive. You have to destroy alien jammers every time throughout the entire game!
- The game has only 5 weapons: Handgun, Shotgun, Rifle, Alien Machine Gun, and Alien Sniper Rifle.
- There is no additional content such as multiplayer mode or extras.
- All friendly NPCs have their entire faces covered up with balaclavas and goggles because the devs were too lazy to give them proper facial animations.
- No story whatsoever. In fact, it has barely anything to do with the movie, other than the fact that it takes place in Hawaii and involved the same alien species.
- Poor graphics.
- There are no characters from the movie anywhere in the game.
- Very poor AI.
- There is no challenge in killing the enemy ships during the RTS segments. Just spam the missiles and they die.
- As noted above, this makes the cards you collected from the enemy pointless except giving your ship more firepower.
- The game has a ticket included that goes towards seeing the movie. AFTER PLAYING THIS GAME, YOU WANT TO SEE ANY MOVIE BESIDES BATTLESHIP.
- It is a shameless clone of Advance Wars.
- Little to nothing to do with the source material.
- Lack of a VS mode.
- The Wii version is decent unlike the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game.
Like the movie it's based on, the game received negative reviews from critics and gamers alike. Notably, Angry Joe gave this game a 2/10 (Epic Fail) calling it garbage and of poor value.