Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind was the first Bubsy game released in 1993 for the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis and ported to Windows as Super Bubsy in 1995. It was created to push the mascot to compete against Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog.
It was one of the most anticipated games in 1993 and got high reviews at the time of its release but the reviews got more negative over the years to the point where Bubsy became one of the most hated video game characters of all time. Bubsy games are frequently critized for being Sonic the hedgehog rip-offs, which is supported by the fact that the creator of the series played Sonic games for a long time. However, most of the games still have a fan base that survived the decline.
Later, on November 2015, both this game and Bubsy 2 were greenlit by Retroism for a PC compilation re-release on Steam titled Bubsy Two-Fur.
Aliens called Woolies plan to steal Earth's yarn and since Bubsy has the largest collection, he vows to stop them.
Why it Sucks
- It has Bubsy in it who has been criticized for his obnoxious behavior. Ironically, reviewers usually critize the series in general for putting more focus on the character rather than the gameplay.
- Uninspired, this game is basically a rip-off of Sonic the Hedgehog. Bubsy runs too quickly for no good reason and the levels and enemy placement aren't suitable for that speed, making it very easy to bump into hazards and enemies with little to no chance to avoid them.
- The camera is zoomed too closely to Bubsy, making it impossible react to obstacles that were off screen suddenly going on the screen.
- Poor level designs which don't work with the game's controls and physics.
- One-Hit-Deaths and no way to get extra hit points, which are made worse with the previously mentioned level designed and Bubsy's excessive speed.
- Constant dumb puns.
- Bubsy's gliding ability makes no sense. How does a bobcat glide??? Not explained. This can be excused slightly due to the cartoonish nature of the game.
- Bubsy carries too much momentum when jumping.
- Sometimes, you don't even have to touch an enemy to be killed by them.
- You can kill Bubsy by just running fast enough into a wall.
- A confusing animation when Bubsy gets stunned from hitting a wall hard, sometimes he doesn't die and instead you get to control him again after a few seconds. Other times he does die and you lose a life.
- Bubsy can suddenly die while riding on a water slide. Also, some water slides go upwards.
- Collecting 100 yarn balls doesn't give the player an extra life, making them mostly useless.
- The game was a 2D platformer that incorporated fall damage into its gameplay. There's a reason why the good 2D games don't have such a mechanic.
- Bubsy says annoying one-liners at the start of each level or whenever you restart from a checkpoint. And considering it's so easy to die in the game, you'll be hearing them a lot.
- At the beginning of level sixteen, Bubsy mocks you by saying "Whoa are you still playing this thing?!"
- Limited view makes it difficult to tell where you're jumping to and makes it easy to get hit by something off-screen when jumping.
- The game has decent graphics.
- Nice music.