You play as Logan Walker, a member of the Ghosts task force, an elite American spec ops unit, which is no longer a superpower, and fight an anti-American nation founded by Diego Almagro known simply as "the Federation". In an attempt to destroy the Ghosts, the Federation decides to unleash their ultimate weapon: a former Ghost named Gabriel Rorke.
Why it Sucks
- The game removed iconic gamemodes from the COD franchise. For example, Capture the Flag.
- The unlock system is corrupt and mixed up.
- The weapons are too powerful in Damage, Rate of Fire, Clip Size, Range, etc.
- The commentary always talks about the same thing (Rorke).
- Uninspired storyline, with unlikable and forgettable protagonists who commit morally questionable acts. Rorke is also considered to be the worst villain in the entire series due to a terrible backstory and being a massive Karma Houdini.
- The "Federation" is offensive to Latin Americans. It portrays them as terrorists that band together to fight the USA for no reason whatsoever.
- The main character has less personality than a cardboard box.
- Unfortunate implications galore! All minority characters are villains-the only one who isn't dies mere moments after being introduced-and women that are not soldiers are treated like objects.
- Awful sequel-bait ending, in which Rorke kidnaps and tortures you into joining the Federation.
- The dog was hyped in advertisements yet in only appears in a few early missions and rarely shows up after that.
- The single-player campaign has been criticised for not adopting the changes that Black Ops II introduced, such as multiple endings and branching paths.
- Too derivative, as it plagiarised scenes and plot points from not only older COD games (an example being Ghost, who is a major character in Modern Warfare 2), but also movies, such as (especially) the Star Wars original trilogy, Moonraker, The Dark Knight Rises, and more. Some people went as far as dubbing the game Modern Warfare 4 because of these clichés.
- The maps were lazily designed and made large to cover this up. Infinity Ward and Activision tried to rectify this by releasing DLC packs consisting of smaller maps, but by then, it was already too late (see below).
- Assets and entire cutscene animations were ripped verbatim from previous games.
- Less features and slower framerate on the PC version, which is downright insulting considering the series' roots, dating back to 2003, are on the PC.
- The Wii U version does not have any of the Downloadable content and patches present in the other versions, not unlike Black Ops II’s own Wii U version.
Critics have given Call of Duty: Ghosts extremely good ratings, but the game got negative reviews from Call of Duty fans. Also, most of the fandom moved on as a result of Ghosts’ disappointment. It is deemed to be the most disappointing (but not the worst) game in the series, and is often on several "worst games of 2013" lists. It is also widely considered to have been the beginning of the Call of Duty franchise's decline.