Why It Sucks
- Titus pretty much removed their name from the game except for the label on the cartridge to try to hide the fact that they were involved in it.
- Terrible frame rate.
- Poor graphics and low quality textures.
- Terrible camera angles. The camera is uncontrollable and it can snap back to the back of your car when you stop.
- Instead of humans like the PC version, the N64 version replaces humans with zombies, aliens, robots or even DINOSAURS!! This is a problem because this game is rated M for Mature, which is supposed to mean that the game has heavy violence, which it in fact does.
- There is a glitch where you can fall into the water and can't be re-spawned back onto the track, and if you do respawn you respawn just next to the water, so you would most likely drive into the water again. There is however a button where you can re-spawn.
- Terrible controls. Your car would swerve all over the place while steering. As there is no drifting mechanic and even how hard you steer it is impossible to take tight turns on most tracks without slowing down and spastically turning. In addition, your car can drive up walls and drive while upside down.
- Very small text which could cause an eye strain.
- Although there is Carmageddon and Quick Start, Quick Start just resumes from where you left off in Carmageddon mode.
- Although this game does save your progress, it does not tell you if it's actually saving the game or not.
- To kill enemy cars, you have to ram them, instead of using weapons.
- There is no set path to reach checkpoints which is very confusing and can result in excessive backtracking.
- The weapons are very hard to find and even if you did find them, it will not kill your opponents.
- Even if you kill or injure enemies, you car takes damage even though that's what you're actually supposed to do in the game.
- For a racing game, it doesn't tell you what place you're in (1st, 2nd, 3rd...).
- You win whenever you kill all zombies, eliminate opposing cars, or by crossing all checkpoints regardless if the cars reached all the checkpoints or not.
- After the game was playtested, instead of improving the controls they included "anti-frustration" meassures, cheap tactics to give the player more advantage and make the game slightly more playable.
IGN gave the game a 1.3/10, calling it "ridiculously poor software farted out as a quick, sloppy port" and "worse than Superman 64". The game is rated 28.50% on aggregate site GameRankings. It has currently a 2.04 rating at GameFAQs and it is the lowest rated simulation game on the Nintendo 64.