Cosmic Race (Japanese: コズミックレース Kozumikku Rēsu) is a 1995 racing game for the PlayStation by Neorex for Japan only. It was the only game they have ever made. The game is notorious for being one of the worst video games of all time.
Why It Sucks
- The control scheme is needlessly complicated and convoluted. To make things worse, it is impossible to remap any of the buttons.
- Even the menu controls are horrible. The D-pad is unresponsive and unlike nearly every other PlayStation game ever, only the Start button can be used to advance through menus, not X or O, which are used to advance through menus in games released in English regions and Japan respectively.
- The menu controls are inconsistent and change depending on where you're at in the game. After the race is finished you actually have to press X to continue to the next race, which contradicts the rest of the menus in the game. Pressing Start at this menu will just make you play the track you just raced on all over again!
- The game fails to create any sense of urgency due to the next two points below.
- Instead of short courses with multiple laps, every track has a linear "point A to point B" design that is ridiculously long and boring to the point of each track taking up to several minutes to complete.
- The only challenge in the game is trying to stay on the track since the AI opponents always race at a fixed speed, letting the player stay ahead of them easily.
- Every track consists of a random mishmash of graphics with only 4 types of track to choose from.
- The overhead maps for each track the game shows you before racing are so low-res they look like pixelated vomit, rendering them completely useless and make you think the game data was damaged in some way.
- A pointless 360 degrees camera.
- Forgettable MIDI soundtrack.
- Awful graphics.
- Some of the graphics in the game were actually stolen from a devkit.
- Unappealing character and vehicle designs.
- Terrible collision detection; often you will just clip right through the balloon at the end of the track that needs to be popped to win the race.
- The timer only counts down when the player is outside the track.
- Extremely long loading times.
- Whenever you load a savefile the game forces you to watch a full replay of the previous track you raced on, adding several unnecessary minutes of waiting to get to the next race!
- Some menus like the results menu have text rendered on a rotating cylinder making it impossible to read all of the text at once. They should have made the text 2D like a normal game so you could actually read the text.
- For a game called "Cosmic Race" only the last couple of tracks take place in an outer-space environment.
- On every other track your vehicle actually loses speed the higher you are above the ground.
- Poorly-drawn 2D artwork, especially in the game's manual.
The Game Players Magazine gave this game a 0%, naming the 0% rating after it.