Cosmic Race (Japanese: コズミックレース Kozumikku Rēsu) is a Japan-only racing game for the PlayStation by Neorex. It was the only game they have ever made.
Why It Sucks
- The control scheme is needlessly complicated and convoluted. To make things worse, it is impossible to remap any of the buttons.
- Even the menu controls are horrible. The D-pad is unresponsive and unlike nearly every other Playstation game ever, only the start button can be used to advance through menus, not X or O.
- The menu controls are inconsistent depending on where you're at in the game. After the race is finished you have actually have to press X to continue to the next race- pressing start at this menu will just make you play the track you just raced on all over again
- The game fails to create any sense of urgency. See points 7 and 14
- Every track consists of a random mishmash of graphics with only 4 types of track to choose from
- The overhead maps for each track the game shows you before racing are so low-res they look like pixelated vomit, rendering them completely useless
- Instead of short courses with multiple laps, every track has a linear "Point A to point B" design that is ridiculously long and boring to the point of each track taking up to several minutes to complete
- A pointless 360 degrees camera.
- Forgettable MIDI soundtrack.
- Awful graphics. In fact, some of the graphics were stolen from a devkit.
- Unappealing character and vehicle designs.
- Terrible collision detection- often you will just clip right through the balloon at the end of the track that needs to be popped to win the race.
- The timer only counts down when the player is outside the track
- The only challenge in the game is trying to stay on the track since the AI opponents always race at a fixed speed. letting the player stay ahead of them easily
- Extremely long load-times
- Whenever you load a savefile the game forces you to watch a full replay of the previous track you raced on, adding several unnecessary minutes of waiting to get to the next race
- For a game called "Cosmic Race" only the last couple of tracks take place in an outer-space environment
- On every other track your vehicle actually loses speed the higher you are above the ground
- Poorly-drawn 2D artwork, especially in the game's manual
The Game Players Magazine gave this game a 0%, naming the rating after it.