Daemon Summoner, also known as Chronicles of the Vampire Hunter on the PC version, is an obscure first person shooter horror video game released in 2006 on the Playstation 2 and PC. It was developed by Atomic Planet Entertainment and it was published by Midas Interactive. This game was not released outside of Europe.
This game is set in Victorian London. The main protagonist is a vampire hunter known as James Farrington Higgs who seeks vengeance on the vampires who turned his wife, Emily, into a vampire and murdered his son, David.
In Daemon Summoner, you will kill monsters such as zombies, vampires, werewolves and small imps. there are also stealth levels were you'll have to sneak past the enemies without being seen.
Why it Sucks
- The hit detection in this game is horrible, since you‘ll always miss the enemy whenever you try to shoot them, even if the crosshair is aimed at them.
- Very poor enemy A.I.
- The voice acting is laughably bad.
- The enemy animations are poorly done.
- James Farrington Higgs is an extremely blatant rip-off of Van Helsing; particularly the Stephen Sommers version.
- James as a character is also incredibly stupid- he accidentally alerts his wife-turned vampire to his presence almost as soon as the game starts and after defeating her in a bossfight, gets kicked in the balls by her and she just runs away again
- The villains are neither intimidating or a legit threat- all James' wife does throughout the game is run away and the only tactic that she and the other villain(s) of the game do when they fight you is bumrush you
- The in-game cutscenes have almost no voice-acting, making it difficult to figure out what the hell is actually happening on-screen
- The weapon variety is ridiculously small, and the only weapons available to use are a knife, pistol, crossbow and Molotov cocktails.
- The title of the game is misleading because you never summon any demons. It's actually the main antagonist who summons demons, not the protagonist.
- A screenshot at the back of this game's box shows the player holding two pistols, even though you can't duel wield in the game.
- Some of the noises that the enemies make are actually ripped off from Id Software's DOOM.
- Unskippable cutscenes.
- The gameplay is extremely frustrating. For example, if you get caught by one of the enemies in the sneaking level, a cut scene of James getting knocked out by a vampire will come up followed by the game over screen. This isn't helped by the fact that even if the enemies don't spot you, you'll still get caught somehow.
- The stealth section in of itself has no reason to exist and seems almost self-aware of how it exists to just pad out the game- the actual area you need to get to is right in front of you at the start with a single enemy guarding the door that could easily be sneaked past were it not for a big invisible wall in the way
- The graphics are terrible for a game that was released in 2006- no lighting, jagged polygons and murky blurry textures everywhere
- Lots of invisible walls.
- There is one frustrating maze level filled with intersections everywhere, making it almost impossible to get through.
- The main menu theme is stolen from another game called Painkiller.