Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, known in Japan as Jekyll Hakase no Homa ga Toki (Jikiru hakase no Homa ga Toki, officially translated Dr. Jekyll's Hour Of The Wandering Monstrosity), is a 1988 video game developed by Advance Communications Company and published in Japan by Toho and in North America by Bandai for the Nintendo Entertainment System. It is based on the 1886 novel Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. It is well known for being the Angry Video Game Nerd's most hated game. In fact, it's James Rolfe's most hated game in real life.
Dr. Jekyll is on his way to the church to marry Miss Millicent, but the townspeople, animals, and obstacles wants him dead. Should he get too stressed out from it, he becomes... MISTER HYDE!! and fights monsters in the world of demons. The game has two endings:
After Mister Hyde kills all the monsters in the world of demons, he reaches the church, morphs back into Dr. Jekyll, and the townspeople, animals, and obstacles have disappeared. Jekyll eventually marries Miss Millicent as an 8-bit version of "The Wedding March" by Felix Mendelssohn starts playing and a wordmark saying "END" appears. Then, the screen fades to black and a lightning bolt, along with a dark picture of Hyde with a Christian cross on his back appear.
After Jekyll avoids the townspeople, animals, and obstacles, makes his way to church, where he eventually marries Miss Millicent as an 8-bit version of "The Wedding March" by Felix Mendelssohn starts playing, and then, a wordmark saying "END" appears.
Why it Sucks
- Dr. Jekyll's cane has zero uses except for killing bees and putting out bomb fuses; trying to hit anything else with the cane only increases his stress.
- When he becomes Mr. Hyde he's able to punch and use the "psycho wave" to kill enemies and get his stress down. However this projectile fires out in an unpredictable pattern, making it difficult to hit anything with
- Dr. Jekyll moves incredibly slow, making the game tedious to play.
- The Jekyll/Hyde mechanic isn't the least bit intuitive and will make the player wonder why they keep dying almost as soon as the game starts until they realise how it works. The further into the level you are as Jekyll, the more space you have to get rid of your stress as Hyde as when Hyde reaches the position where Jekyll transformed, he will be struck by lightning and die instantly (the manual says this is because evil is not supposed to overcome good).
- Every other seemingly innocent character in the game is out to kill Dr. Jekyll (given a weak justification that the slingshot kid named Billy Pones is also in love with Jekyl's wife-to-be and is jealous of him), the worst being a man dressed in purple simply named "The Bomb Maniac" who constantly rushes past you and drops deadly bombs.
- The blast radius of the bombs and how much damage/stress they give to Jekyll seems almost completely random.
- The game has poor sluggish controls, making it very hard to hit enemies with Mr. Hyde's punch.
- Coins can only be collected when playing as Hyde (at least in the US version) and their only purpose in the game is to pay the singing fat lady named Elena McCowen to shut up.
- Using Jekyll's cane on Elena makes him instantly turn into Hyde.
- To get the real ending you have to become Hyde in the final level (his final level is completely different to the level you play as Jekyll) and fight a boss, after which Jekyll has to also walk through the final level which is now free of enemies.
- The only helpful NPC in the game (when you enter her house she restores your meter and gives you a huge amount of coins) was removed from the US version for some reason.
- The US version has less levels (2 levels removed from the Japanese version were replaced with repeats of earlier levels) and the level order was shuffled around.
Why It Sucks (AVGN Edition)
- Awful music.
- Dreadful graphics.
- Unspeakable gameplay.
- Deceptive enemies
- Unavoidable hazards.
- Useless weaponry.
All mixed together, and calculated just right, that is a horrible concoction!
Reverse Crappy Games Wiki version:
- In November 2015, the game was spoofed by Rolfe in a fake trailer.