Dungeon Keeper Mobile was developed by Electronic Arts and Mythic Entertainment as part of the Dungeon Keeper series. On 10 October 2013, Dungeon Keeper Mobile soft-launched on Google Play and iOS App Store, as well as for Android devices.
The game is free-to-play (Freemium) and EA provides an official website featuring among others, a forum and in-game information.
Why it Sucks
- Terrible gameplay pacing.
- Boring plot.
- Cheesy cutscenes.
- Repetitive maps.
- It is unfaithful to the original series.
- Overuse of Micro-Transactions. Despite being free-to-play, you have to pay hundreds of dollars to unlock and see everything.
- At launch, some blocks require you to wait for 24 hours, unless you paid a copious amount of cash to unlock them. The timer was eventually reduced to 12 hours.
- The game has advertisements asking you to rate the game 5 stars for the game to continue development. This led to accusations of EA fraudulently manipulating the game's rating system and its subsequent score on mobile storefronts.
- The game ended up killing Mythic Entertainment.
- As a massive "Screw You!" to fans of the original game, Bullfrog Productions' logo was used as an indicator of a destroyed room.
The bright side?
The game's ad was banned in the UK as a result of a complaint by the Advertising Standards Authority .
Dungeon Keeper Mobile was universally panned by game critics and reviewers.
Jim Sterling of The Escapist called it "A cynically motivated skeleton of a non-game" and "a scam", with the game deemed unplayable without spending money to speed up progress.
As of 10 February 2014, the iOS version of the game has a "generally unfavorable" critical rating of 42/100 on the review aggregating site Metacritic.