In Extreme Paintbrawl, there are three game modes available to the player: Season Mode, Single Game, and Practice. Season Mode allows one to manage a team of eight recruits through an entire season. The player is able to hire and fire recruits, buy markers, and compete against other teams for the championship in compliance with a fixed schedule. There were several flaws in this mode such as the inability to swap markers between recruits. Single Game allows the player to play a single paintball match. The objective is to score by either capturing your opponent's flag or marking an opponent. Practice mode leaves the player alone on the field of his/her choice with no specific targets to shoot.
Why it Sucks
- Poor graphics, using the outdated 2.5D Build engine (which by 1998 was surpassed by the fully 3D Quake and Unreal engines).
- A.I has perfect aim.
- In unpatched versions of the game there isn't even any A.I. at all! The bots just run around and shoot randomly.
- Lack of other game modes beyond capture the flag.
- The arenas do not resemble actual paintball fields (i.e. desert, school building)
- You need to shoot the opponents at a very close range to hit them. On top of that, your guns are not very accurate.
- Music doesn't fit the game at all
- Crappy controls.
- The game is impossible to run on versions of Windows 2000 and up due to the game installing and launching from Windows but being DOS-based.