Leaking Games/Spreading Rumors/Spreading Hoaxes has been a issue throughout the years, but however, some people have been posting leaks/rumors /hoaxes that look real or claim that are real, but they turn out to be what they actually are- fake.
- Rayman was Leaked as a New DLC Character for Super Smash Bros. 4 in 14th February 2015. However, on February 15th, 2015 it turned out to be fake, and the creator shows a video how it was made. This made a lot of people upset that Rayman didn't make it to Smash 4.
- Metroid Prime 4 was one of the most rumored games at E3. Someone posted a image of a guy holding a Wii U, which says Metroid Prime 4, during 2012. Eventually, Nintendo announced Metroid Prime 4 for real at E3 2017.
- After Crash Mind Over Mutant, the Crash series went on a hiatus for a long time until his appearance in Skylanders: Imaginators in 2016, as well as the remasters with Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy. During that time, there were various rumors of Crash returning.
- Half-Life 3 (also Half-Life 2: Episode 3) eventually became a huge internet meme. People have been posting fake images of rumors & leaks of Half-Life 3 throughout the years.
- In January 2018, some user uploaded a video of Nintendo Switch's Version 5.0.0 Update. The video shows that said update will have Youtube, Hulu, Twitch, Crunchyroll, Internet Browser, Cloud Save and a Theme Shop and Virtual Console. Everyone was losing their minds and where hyped for it, but on January 7th, 2018, the update turned out to be fake, and it angered almost everybody. https://twitter.com/nintenfanart/status/951247240831684608 Ironically, the 5.0.0 Update came out on 13th March 2018, but it has absolutely nothing from the fake version, which made some people angrier. However, Cloud Save has been confirmed by Nintendo for the Online Services.
- Grand Theft Auto VI was constantly rumored on the internet, with many people saying that they got the game sent to them by Rockstar. The most infamous of these people has to be Sernandoe, who constantly clickbaited with fake GTA VI unboxing videos.
- Sega fanboys constantly spread false rumors about Sega supposedly working on a new console. Every time Sega says they'll make a big announcement, those fanboys immediately assume it'll be a new console and will ignore all the evidence debunking their rumors. Many of them make videos and write articles claiming that " Sega will be coming back", which then leads to other people thinking it's true. They also make lots of Change.Org petitions asking for Sega to make a new console.
- Before the Nintendo Switch was revealed to the public on October 20th, 2016, many people were making fake NX Consoles such as Nintendo Cross & Nintendo XDS.
- Several online stores had an upcoming game called "Bayonetta+Vanquish 2-Pak" for PS4 and Xbox One. However, after a few months the item was delisted and later confirmed fake. This was believed to be an response to the Bayonetta and Vanquish for PC port, believing that the PS4 and Xbox One would also get the same treatment.
- After a full Pokémon game was announced for the Nintendo Switch at E3 2017, leak images of Starter Pokémon were found in 2018. It was later proven that they were fake.
- Ever since Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, there has been countless evidence and teasing over a Spyro the Dragon remaster trilogy similar to N. Sane Trilogy. However that has also led to many fake announcements that always seem convincing due to all the evidence pointing towards the eventual real remaster. Activision kept teasing up until they released the first official trailer for the game, under the name Spyro Reignited Trilogy.
- Sonic Adventure 3 was a massive rumor in the Sonic franchise. People posting fake images, videos and gameplay. This rumor appeared from 2006 to 201. Fans would hope Sonic Adventure 3 will happen until September 19th. It was confirmed that Sonic Team revealed that "There is no plan for Adventure 3". This made a broken base in the fandom. (Ironically, Adventure 2 was gonna be the grand finale of the series).)
Why They All Suck
- They instantly troll a lot of people to thinking it's real.
- They appear EVERYWHERE online.
- The people making these fake leaks/rumors/hoaxes never back up their claims or show that the leaks or rumors are real, yet people still believe the rumor.