Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade (SIMPLEシリーズ for Wii U Vol.1 THE ファミリーパーティー Simple Series for Wii U Vol.1: The Family Party?) is a party game released for the Wii U. It was developed by Art Co., Ltd and published by D3 Publisher. The game was released in November 2012 for the PAL region, and in December 2012 for North America and Japan. This game has been considered one of if not the worst Wii U game ever.
Why It Sucks
- It tries way too hard to be Mario Party. What's the point of a Mario Party knock-off on a Nintendo console?
- Minigames that range from mediocre to borderline unplayable. One of the minigames basically causes the Wii U Game Pad user to lose the minigame due to it being borderline impossible to win!
- Poor graphics.
- Terrible controls.
- In order to even play the game, you need a Wii Remote or else you can't play any of the minigames or even get out of the starting menu.
- Some minigames REQUIRE a nunchuck to play. Otherwise you can't leave the screen normally.
- Dumb AI.
- Horribly annoying and repetitive voice acting.
- Misleading Title. There actually 35 games, five more than the 30 games claimed by the title of the game. This is because the Family Party: 30 Great Games label is actually a brand made by D3 Publisher, thus the "30 Great Games" title has nothing related to the amount of games in the collection.
- Game Glitches such as the controls malfunctioning and failing to work correctly.
- You need to unlock minigames to play them with friends.
Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade received negative reviews by critics holding a score of 11/100 on Metacritic, the second-lowest score behind Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.
Criticism targeted its design, minigames, controls, and voice acting. Kristoffer Nyrén of Eurogamer said that "the feeling of torture arose" before he played the game, specifically criticizing its graphics for being "extremely outdated" and its controls for frequently malfunctioning. Zack Kaplan of the Nintendo World Report said that "it makes a promise it can't keep, assaults your ears with annoying voice acting, and sucks all the fun out of owning a Wii U", scolding its poor controls, minigames (as "devoid of fun"), and irritating voice acting. Anthony Severino of Game Revolution described it as having "absolutely zero redeeming qualities", chiding its gameplay (as "borderline unplayable"), controls, and voice acting. The Official Nintendo Magazine gave it a score of 11%, jokingly concluding the review (written in the style of a diary) with an "ONM Coroner's Report" that read "Patient suffered a psychotic breakdown while playing this game. No treatment possible."