"Fanboy" is a term that refers to an overeager and obnoxious fan of a certain franchise who typically ruins it for others.
On its own, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a fan of a game franchise you enjoy and show your excitement and appreciation of those games, the problem comes with certain fans who take it far too seriously. They tend to be obnoxious, complain constantly, overthink everything, reject others' opinions, act authoritative and entitled, refuse to listen, NEVER stop talking about it, feel threatened by people who don't like the games just as much as they do, make inappropriate fan art, etc. Fanboys also tend to blindly defend clearly anti-consumer practices that companies do, allowing those companies to keep getting away with it. Often they'll harass regular fans because they don't agree with their opinions and say the regular fans are "not true fans" sometimes to the point of completely ruining the franchise for them.
Another type of fanboys are the "classicists", who are more prevalent in long-lasting franchises like Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokémon. These are fanboys who believe anything within the franchise besides the classics they grew up with is automatically garbage, worship the classic games like they were perfect, and refuse to even give the newer games a chance.
Perhaps the biggest problem with fanboys is that, while they are usually the minority, they tend to be the most vocal and toxic, which in turn makes outsiders think that the whole fanbase is like that and in turn they'll be less likely to give the games a chance. However it should be noted that even if a fanbase is infamous for being full of toxic fanboys, not all of the fans have to be like that. SomecallmeJohnny is a popular example of a reasonable and healthy Sonic The Hedgehog fan.
There is also an article on this topic on the Terrible TV Shows Wiki.
- The Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase is notorious for constantly bickering about what is good for the franchise. Every single time a new Sonic game comes out one side of the fanbase likes it while the other side hates it.
- The Minecraft fanbase is full of butthurt fanboys and numerous Minecraft channels that are all virtually the same and do nothing different and/or interesting. (Click here to understand better)
- The Undertale fanbase is considered the worst, having people ranging from butthurt, toxic fanboys who can't respect opinions to people who make creepy, sexualized fanart of certain characters, such as Sans The Skeleton and Muffet.
- The Five Nights at Freddy's fanbase is even worse. The franchise's hidden lore makes fanboys prank call local pizzeria that starts with "Freddie's" or "Freddy's" to reveal the pizzeria's dark history and looking for animatronic characters while the staffs are busy at work.
- The M.U.G.E.N. community is even worse. Users infamously fight over their different standards for liking characters and go into full-fledged rants whenever they don't like a character instead of just ignoring it and moving on.
- Another example of overzealous fanboys are the elitists, who worship the franchise as if it's some kind of god and look down on fans of other similar games.
- The Legend of Zelda fanbase is infamous for having elitist fanboys. Their worst action was attacking video game critic Jim Sterling for giving Breath of the Wild a 7/10 which caused the Metacritic score to drop from 98 to 97 (they attacked Jim over the game's score dropping ONE point), as well as DDos'ing his website, despite him saying he liked the game. They're also desperately trying to raise the game's user score from 7.4 to the highest score possible in order to bury the negative reviews.
- There are even FPS playerbases. These playerbases consist of young kids who rage and swear to make them look cool. The most notable example of this can be found in the Call Of Duty franchise, where most of the players are little kids being toxic. These players usually get mad when they get killed or claim that one person is hacking just because they keep killing them.
- The Call Of Duty fanbase many which contains either little children or dude-bros.
- The Team Fortress 2 fanbase, while decent, has one half of it that is full of little kids and players who are inexperienced at the game. To make matters worse, the former will often beg for hats and weapons.
- PC fanboys who call themselves "PC Master-Races" who blindly worship the PC and Steam and disregard any other console and label them as such crap while also ignoring that PC also has plenty of flaws.
- It is now trendy to hate things. For instance a new elder scrolls games comes out. There's going to be hate. A new battlefield comes out there is going to be hate. Blind hate and hating for the sake of hating as a trend is another detraction to people starting to get into the franchise due to how toxic or hateful a fanbase can be. Even worse they haven't even come out yet and they haven't played it before they even made a opinion whether they like it or not.
- Some of these fanboys they send death threats to developers if they do an alteration to the game.