Final Fantasy II is a fantasy role-playing video game developed and published by Square (now Square Enix) in 1988 for the Family Computer as the second installment of the Final Fantasy series.
A long lived peace is over. The Emperor of Palamecia has summoned monsters from Hell to begin his conquest for world domination. A rebel army arose in the kingdom of Fynn to stop the Empire. However, Castle Fynn has fallen, and the rebels escaped to the town of Altair. Four youths from Fynn, their parents killed by the Empire, flee from Imperial forces.
Why it Sucks
- Boring and repetitive dungeons.
- Extremely high encounter rate.
- The dungeons contain several "trap rooms" full of fixed encounters, which are unescapable.
- It is very difficult, if not impossible, to escape from random encounters.
- Unbalanced difficulty: the game can be very easy or very hard depending on how much you level up magic and weapons.
- Even at a very high level, magic spells may miss a lot.
- Also, even at a very high level, physical attacks may miss or cause little to no damage.
- The later dungeons feature enemies that use max leveled spells and attacks that never miss and always hit, which is very unfair.
- Instead of having eight levels of MP to worry about, you have a base value that all spells drained from.
- Very expensive items and equipment.
- In the GBA and PSP ports there is only one Blood Sword, while in the original NES and PS1 ports there were two.
- The English NES version was only sold to industry insiders at the Winter 1991 CES. This makes it rarer than Cheetahmen 2.
- Related to #12, the game can easily be more expensive than a grey cart copy of Nintendo World Championships.
- If you sucessfully track down and purchase an English NES copy, you will have to suffer through a translation worse than Breath of Fire II.
- The game introduces Chocobos, Leviathan and the character Cid, which would later become recurring characters in the series.
- An actual plot instead of the cliched story from the first game.
- Characters with actual personalities and backstories.
- A group of characters fighting against a tyrannous empire, which would be later seen again in Final Fantasy IV, VI, IX, and XII.
- Good soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu.
- The Blood Sword, one of the most powerful Final Fantasy weapons makes its debut.