Final Fantasy XIII is the thirteenth mainstream Final Fantasy game released in 2010 for the Xbox 360, PS3, and Windows. Despite positive reviews from critics, it was heavily disliked and criticized by Final Fantasy fans for various reasons which will be explained later.
After her sister becomes a l'Cie by a fal'Cie from Pulse, Lightning and a group of adventurers go on an adventure to save her and oppose the Cocoon government.
Why It Sucks
- It has a completely linear environment in the first half of the game, making characters simply go from Point A to Point B. While this is the case in previous FF titles as well they also gave you some room for exploration of the game's world throughout the first half of each game. In this game on the other hand, almost every single area in this game is literally a straight hallway (resulting in the fan nickname "Final Hallway XIII" or "on rails rpg").
- There are almost no towns in the game and all shopping is done by shops that are accessed by save spots.
- The Crystarium Grid is similar to the Sphere Grid in Final Fantasy X, except it's very linear and you can't access other characters' nodes to increase your power.
- The Crystarium gets locked when you reach the end of the grid level. In order to access it further, you need to progress through the game.
- Combat is uninspired and there is little strategy involved. The best way to defeat enemies is to keep tapping A to use the chain combo.
- Shopping is largely useless. You can't gain gil for shopping from fighting enemies (only by selling loot and finding it in chests) and most of the time, the only thing worth buying in the shops are potions, since you can obtain most weapons and accessories on the playing field. Buying better equipment is also largely unnecessary as you can break down other bits of equipment to upgrade your own.
- You can only control one character. Also, even if you have three people in the party, if the character you control dies, it is game over.
- You can't escape from battle.
- If the "Plot" section isn't enough of a sign, the writing, plot and world-building are so poor and so convoluted that absolutely every single little thing in the game from plot details to lore, unnecessarily strange terminology for object and items based on real things, character backstory and motivation etc. requires consulting a massive in-game encyclopedia to even have the foggiest clue of what's currently happening in the game.
- Despite the negative reception from fans, Square Enix actually had the nerve to release two unneeded sequels for this game in the form of Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII, and while these games did address the hallway and combat problems, many fans considered them mediocre at best to being as bad or worse than this game. It's even worse when it was revealed by gamers that Square Enix was constantly pulling staff from Versus XIII to work on it.
- The PC port is 60GB in size which is a ridiculous amount of space for a game released in 2010, even if your hard-drive is more than 1TB in size.
- the main characters with some exceptions are extremly unlikeable specially the protagonist lightning
- The characters designs are done by Tetsuya Nomura, the artist behind Kingdom Hearts characters.
- Catchy soundtrack.
- amazing graphics in general