Due to the popularity of the Grand Theft Auto franchise, there have been many game developers creating "GTA Clones", which share many similarities to GTA.
These games have spread quickly on Android devices after Rockstar released GTA III, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas on the Google Play Store.
A few GTA Clones were actually successful and received good review scores like The Simpsons: Hit & Run and the Gangstar series, but most of them are just pure crap.
GTA clones with their own pages
- Crimelife 2
- Crimelife 3
- Grand Theft Normo V
- Juonto City
- Manhattan Chase*
- Miami Traffic II, at Neutral Games Wiki
- Miami Traffic 3
- Strouken Count IV: Crimeline, at Neutral Games Wiki
*In truth, Manhattan Chase is a very linear game, but was advertised as a GTA clone and pretend it is an open-world game.
Why they Suck (generally for mobile games)
- A great portion of them are asset flips created just to earn with add revenue, as reskins from mobile GTA Clones, and used the same engine (mostly Unity 3D) over again.
- Most of them have too many pop-up ads that interrupt the game especially when you lose the game, even the non-asset flips.
- Most of them are free, but come with a large file size despite their poor quality and low detail of graphics and sound.
- Most of them have micro-transactions, just like any Play Store ripoffs.
- Most of them are poorly programmed and have various game-breaking bugs and glitches.
- Most of them have little to no physical programming.
- Most of them have very poor graphics, even for mobile device standards.
- Most of them have a paywall. In some games, you must pay a premium currency to steal vehicles.
- Most of them have models and HUDs stolen from other games.
- Most of them have little-to-no AI programming at all. In some games, the cars move on their own.
Redeeming Qualities (general)
- Some of the GTA Clones, such as Saints Row, Crackdown and Scarface: The World Is Yours are actually very good and feature unique elements that help set them apart from Grand Theft Auto.
- GTA Clone page on GTA Wiki.