IGN (formerly Imagine Games Network) is a San Francisco-based games and entertainment media company operated by IGN Entertainment Inc., a subsidiary of j2 Global and wholly owned by Ziff Davis, and headed up by its former editor-in-chief, Peer Schneider.
The website was the brainchild of media entrepreneur Chris Anderson and launched on September 29, 1996. It focuses on video games, films, television, comics, technology, and other media.
Originally a network of desktop websites, IGN is now distributed on mobile platforms, console programs on the Xbox and PlayStation, FireTV, Roku, and via YouTube, Twitch, Hulu, and Snapchat.
Originally, IGN was the flagship property of parent company IGN Entertainment, which owned and operated several other websites oriented towards players' interests, games, and entertainment, such as Rotten Tomatoes, GameSpy, GameStats, VE3D, TeamXbox, Vault Network, FilePlanet, and AskMen, among others. IGN was sold to publishing company Ziff Davis in February 2013 and now operates as a J2 Global subsidiary.
Why They Suck
- Most of their reviews are handled by childish amateurs who don't even review the game properly, like the recent SNES classic game, Star Fox 2, they gave it 5/10, praising it for feeling like a 90's game but criticizing the outdated 3D graphics. (The reason that it has outdated 3D graphics is that it was a SNES game at one point.)
- They are known for giving low or average reviews to many decent and good games, and the reason they'd give it low or average reviews are usually stupid.
- Sometimes IGN rates games down for their difficulty, for example, they gave Metro 2033 a very low score just because they considered the game very difficult.
- Anything that isn't on Xbox gets rated lower. Anything on Xbox that is an FPS that isn't Call of Duty or Halo gets rated lower. Anything relatively fun gets rated lower.
- Practically invented the Entitled Gamer term after gamers criticized the poor ending to Mass Effect 3.
- Most reviews are based on the opinion of the reviewer, instead of focusing on the game´s highlights and flaws.
- Most of their reviews are biased.
- IGN has never, and will never, write a good review that isn't about a game made by their gods Electronic Arts, Activision, and Microsoft.
- They tend to start fanboy wars on their blogs.
- Their TV channels and movie podcasts have bad quality.
- They bash on the Sonic series and Sonic fans intensely without even playing the game properly, especially with their video where one of the members said that "Sonic was Never Good" and made fun of Sonic fans by saying "Sonic fans want to have sex with Big the Cat".
- They also like to provoke the Kingdom Hearts fanbase by insulting the characters by calling them "garbage characters nobody cares about" and say that the upcoming game Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue has left them disappointed even though it didn't come out yet, and hire someone who doesn't know anything about the franchise to do an analysis video on the Kingdom Hearts 3 Jump Festa trailer.
- They support on-disc DLC.