Konami Holdings Corporation, commonly called Konami (Also mockingly called by Japanese as "Konmai" - Ripped Sheet : Referring how Konami has broken today) is a Japanese entertainment company. It operates as a public distributor, and produces and distributes trading cards, anime, tokusatsu, slot and pachinko machines, arcade cabinets, as well as video game developing and publishing. It also operates a fitness clubs in Japan.
Konami is famous for producing some of the most popular video game franchises in the world such as Castlevania, Contra, Dance Dance Revolution, Gradius, Frogger, Suikoden, Ganbare Goemon, Metal Gear, Mirmo, Beatmania IIDX, Pro Evolution Soccer, Boktai, Silent Hill, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Sound Voltex. Their acquisition and absorption of Hudson Soft added several more franchises to their portfolio, including Adventure Island,Bonk, Bloody Roar, Bomberman, Far East of Eden and Star Soldier. By revenue, Konami is the twentieth largest gaming company.
Konami was founded in 1969 as a jukebox rental and repair agency in Toyonaka, Osaka, Japan by Kagemasa Kōzuki, who to this day still remains the chairman of the company. The term "Konami" is a combination of the names Kagemasa Kozuki, Yoshinobu Nakama, and Tatsuo Miyasako.
Konami's current headquarters are located in Tokyo. In the United States, Konami's video game businesses are managed from offices in El Segundo, California, with its casino gaming businesses being managed in Paradise, Nevada. Its Australian gaming operations are operated from Sydney, Australia. As of March 2016, around the world Konami currently owns 21 consolidated subsidiaries.
Why They Suck Now
NOTE: The main problem with Konami today is that they clearly aren't interested in gaming anymore and changed their focus to other, "less costs, more profit" businesses. This is what caused all the problems mentioned in the following list:
- The company cancelled many highly anticipated titles, such as Silent Hills.
- While Konami hasn't completely abandoned console and PC gaming, they have shifted their primary focus towards mobile games, which are inferior to the former, for no reason other than they're cheaper to make.
- In an effort to make gambling legal in Japan, they've also turned their most beloved franchises into pachinko machines after the titles failed to meet both their critical and commercial expectations. For instance, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 was met with mixed reception and middling sales and since then, with the exception of a pachinko, nothing has been done with the franchise.
- Both employees and ex-employees have been treated very poorly by the company.
- Tensions between Konami and one of their most prominent people, Hideo Kojima, rose shortly after Silent Hills cancellation. Both parties has disputes over wages and the future of their games, which ultimately lead to them parting ways.
- They still weren't willing to give Hideo Kojima credit for his work, to the point where they removed his name and his studio Kojima Productions from the box of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and banned him from an accepting an award at The Game Awards 2015. They've even come to pretend Kojima never worked there in the first place.
- Rather than selling their franchises to developers who still are interested in gaming, they keep ignoring or abusing them. Other franchises such as Bomberman have been relegated to mobile titles.
- About their mobile games, Many of these games don't have any hacking protection. Unlike other online mobile games that you can't connecting to server if using hacked APK, the "Hacked" APK of Konami games can be played online without any blockage.
- They want to turn Metal Gear into a zombie-survival game, an incredibly overused genre which has nothing to do with what Metal Gear is supposed to be.
- Worst of all, Konami used to be one of the greatest game developers in the industry. Watching them act like this is disheartening and enraging the most to long-time fans of the company.
- As stated in 10, Konami used to be one of the greatest game developers in the industry, because of this, they still have a rich history of many top quality games that can still be enjoyed.