Last Action Hero is a Beat'em Up game developed in 1993 by Bits Studio for the NES, SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive. It is based on the movie of the same name.
Why it Sucks
All versions of the game
- The character you control looks nothing like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- The game is largely a monotonous button masher. No strategy at all.
- Your only method of attack is punches and kicks due to Arnold Schwarzenegger at the time not wanting to be depicted using firearms in videogames
- Enemies constantly respawn and take numerous hits to kill. They can kill you very quickly
SNES/Mega Drive/Genesis games
- Enemies always carry a weapon with them, which gives them much more range than you.
- Your character moves very slowly and enemies move very fast.
- Every level has a time-limit which is annoying due to how long enemies take to kill
- Driving segments which are broken and sometimes impossible to beat
- Hit detection is so poor you have to be a fixed distance from the enemy for your attacks to connect
- Lazy and repetitive graphics
- Later levels add a crosshair target that constantly follows you and shoots you, making the game even harder.
- Awful music.
- Terrible level design- one level starts you right next to a bottomless pit and many times in the game you follow the compass only to reach a dead end and be told to turn back the way you came
- The game uses cutscenes that are images from the movie, but the NES limitations make them look terrible. The in-game graphics are even worse.
- When you pause the game, the music still goes.
- Just barely follows the movie, mostly through the sets which resemble scenes, even the Hamlet dream sequence.
- Has even worse graphics than the 16-bit versions
- Enemies all use the same braindead AI, constantly respawn and never drop anything when killed, making fighting them completely pointless
- Bosses all use the same strategy and take no effort whatsoever to defeat (Duck in place and keep punching them)