Life of Black Tiger is a video game originally released on iOS and Android devices by the Korean game development company 1Games. In 2017, it was ported to the PlayStation 4 and is now considered to be the worst PS4 game ever made.
Why It Sucks
- It feels like the typical pre-made asset filled scam game that would show up on Steam Greenlight.
- Boring, repetitive and tiring gameplay that consists entirely of running around barren environments following people, surviving for a set amount of time or hunting a set number of specified animals.
- Horrible controls. Combat consists of merely holding down instead of pressing one button and waiting for agonizingly slow attack animations to complete until the enemies die. The tiger can move in eight directions but doesn't know how analog control works, so if you're moving with the analog stick, it will spasm and lurch between two directions when attempting to run in a straight line.
- As the levels are completed, enemies become stronger and tougher and the upgrades you can acquire are so ineffective that you have to replay levels many, many times in order to get the tiger on par with them.
- There is a story but the plot is depressing, the localization and grammar is so poor that the text in-between missions is borderline gibberish. Examples are: “I'll never step back, Let’s survive till the fixed time.” and “Animal called as human is what I dislike the most.”
- Due to the poor localization and grammar, the game states you lose (more specifically penalized) points after completing a stage, when in fact you're gaining points used to upgrade your stats. It also happens in reverse.
- The line "The female tiger finally gave birth to a baby. It's good to find the baby is not a black one like me. I'm lucky. I'll protect my loving family with life," comes off as a very racist statement.
- ABYSMAL graphics with grainy textures, poor frame-rate, very short draw distance and choppy animation that ends abruptly with no transitions in between them, making the game look worse than some PlayStation 2 titles. The graphics are worse for mobile ports.
- Animals can stack on and clip through each other when walking.
- There is no collision detection aside from invisible walls around the levels. You can pass through objects like trees as if they are not there
- Piss poor sound design, ex: there are only a few sound bites for each creature and the background noises repeat incessantly. Complete lack of in-game music except 3 seconds of guitar after completing mission.
- When the game was released on mobile it was a free download, but on PS4 you have to pay $10 to play it.
- Broken multiplayer mode.
- The music heard in the trailer on the official PS4 channel is the uncredited work of YouTube content creator JackonTC. The music used in the trailer is JackonTC's cover of "Next To You" from the OST for the anime "Parasyte/Kiseijuu/寄生獣".
- Why? Why port a mobile game to such a powerful console like the PS4? It seems kind of redundant when you really think about it.
The game has been heavily panned by Jim Sterling and Digital Foundry, who have both declared it to be the worst PS4 game to ever be released. Although user reviews on Metacritic are mostly positive, they are all very sarcastic.