Mafia was released in August 2002 for the PC and was an immediate commercial and critical success. The open-world, story-driven game was ported to the PlayStation 2 in January 2004 and Xbox in March 2004 and suffered greatly in comparison to the PC original.
Why It Sucks
- Significantly dumbed-down textures.
- Lost Heaven itself is more scaled down and less open-world to accomodate the PlayStation 2's limitations.
- Long loading screens.
- The gameplay is frequently interrupted by loading screens, especially when driving from one part of Lost Heaven to another.
- Poor framerate.
- The in-game cutscenes are replaced with pre-rendered cutscenes, which are extremely grainy.
- Poor controls, especially for the on-foot shooting sections.
- The Xbox port does not support 480p mode, which was extremely rare.
While the original PC version has a Metacritic score of 88, the PS2 version has a Metacritic score of just 65.
In his GameSpot review, Greg Kasavin compared the PS2 version of Mafia to "watching The Lord of the Rings trilogy on a small, black-and-white TV/VCR combo as opposed to the silver screen".