Mega Man 8, known as Rockman 8: Metal Heroes (ロックマン8 メタルヒーローズ Rokkuman Eito Metaru Hīrōzu) in Japan, is a action-platform video game released by Capcom.
It is the eighth installment in the original Mega Man series, and was originally released on the PlayStation and Sega Saturn in 1996.
Why it Sucks
- Outdated platforming gameplay for its time.
- Childish and cartoony graphics.
- Lame and uninspiring Robot Masters (with Tengu Man being the only decently good one).
- Laughable voice acting, with Dr. Light constantly stuttering and mis-pronouncing lots of words (there is a famous scene where Dr. Light pronounces Dr. Wily as "Dr. Wahwee").
- A repetitive and outdated Mega Man experience that offers nothing new.
- Many cheap deaths and spike traps.
- Some sections include jumping and sliding very quickly (like Frost Man´s stage) and are notorious for being extremely difficult.
- The Sega Saturn port lacks some content from the PS1 port.
- Also the Sega Saturn port suffers from a few "hiccups" and frame rate slowdowns.
- Good soundtrack
- Proto Man appears in this game
- Good animated cutscenes (ruined by the amateur voice acting)
Mega Man 8 received mostly mixed to average reviews from critics. One universal complaint involved the game having virtually nothing in terms of gameplay or features that hadn't already appeared in previous installments of the series, and very little change in the gameplay formula that had been used since the first Mega Man game appeared a decade ago.
The English-dubbing voice acting in Mega Man 8 was considered some of the worst in video games by publications including EGM and the Australian radio show Good Game.