Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight (機動戦士ガンダム ターゲット イン サイト Kidō Senshi Gandamu Tāgetto in Saito), also known as Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire in North America, is a mecha action game and PlayStation 3 launch title by Bandai Namco Games, released in Japan and North America in 2006 and Europe in 2007. The game is based on the Gundam franchise, and is one of the many spin-offs to take place around the same time as the first series, Mobile Suit Gundam.
The game’s failure severely damaged the franchise; all Gundam games that came out after this one, other than SD Gundam Capsule Online and the Dynasty Warriors Gundam series, were left unreleased outside East Asia until the release of Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operation NEXT in 2015.
Why it Sucks
- Near-effortless localization. All of the voice overs are in Japanese, even in overseas versions.
- Suffers from bugs and glitches, some game breaking. For example, the sound tends to stutter, forcing you to reboot your PS3 to fix it.
- Terrible sound design.
- Extremely choppy framerate.
- Hit and miss graphics. The mecha models are acceptable, but the terrain looks outdated and bland.
- Poor and sometimes unresponsive controls.
- The camera is placed way too close behind your mecha, greatly hindering your field of view.
- Unbelievably bad auto-targeting system which pretty much locks on anything close enough whenever it feels like it.
- The combat can get increasingly awkward, especially if it involves mecha that lost their heads/arms.
- It bad rep of the game killed releasing most of the Gundam games outside of Japan/Asia except for SD Gundam Capsule Online and the Dynasty Warriors Gundam respectively. It was not until a near decade later that other Gundam games got released outside of Japan/Asia!
For all of its shortcomings, the game has an amazing orchestral soundtrack.
Despite positive reception in Japan, critics worldwide gave the game negative reviews. On the other hand, reception amongst players and fans alike are polarizing, to say the least, as the game has as many people who enjoyed it as those who hated it.