Raven's Cry, or Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry, is a historical fiction action-adventure game developed by Reality Pump Studios and published by TopWare Interactive. Raven's Cry was released for PC on Steam on January 30, 2015. Later it was pulled from Steam and re-released as Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry.
Why It Sucks
- Large amount of bugs and glitches.
- Large amount of missing content.
- The game frequently crashes, and there's a bug in the game that can erase your progress.
- Uninspired story.
- Plot itself is difficult to follow because characters, their motives, and locations appear without any background information or context. However, the game assumes you can follow who these people are.
- Insulting, offensive writing.
- Goofy NPC animations, including female characters urinating in bushes whilst standing up as if they're men and a man who instantly goes from asleep to jolting awake whenever you point your gun at them.
- Clunky combat (though ship combat is slightly better than on-foot combat).
- Complete lack of tutorials; you're never told where to go next, which combat engagements you can survive, and the fact that you have the option of fleeing battle during a ship-to-ship fight, which you'll need to do you before you acquire a new ship and upgrade its attributes.
- On-foot combat suffers from terrible input lag, reducing the sword fights to button-mashing bores.
- Swordplay also suffers from awful collision detection, as you can damage enemies even though the blade isn't hitting them, yet direct hits or stabs will go unnoticed.
- Exploration is as irritating as swordplay due to the jerky camera and Chris (the game's protagonist) not being able to walk over any ankle-high object that aren't stairs.
- Poor-voice acting- until it was eventually removed in a patch one of your crew would randomly shout "Be brave (insert expletive)" every few seconds when sailing, character's dialogue files often don't play at all during cutscenes, one of the developers who worked on the game even admitted that Chris' voice-actor was a random person they hired off the street.
- Due to bugs in the sound engine, some dialogue clips being played would be distorted in pitch, sometimes causing a woman to suddenly have a completely masculine voice. Sometimes the voices would be paused mid sentence then suddenly resume as if it never happened.
- The jumping mechanics are stiff and uncontrollable, which makes climbing the game's buildings a nightmare.
- Graphics comparable to late PS2 games.
- Inconsistent frame-rate.
- Renamed the title to Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry on Steam in order get more sales.
- It was considered a Rip-off to Assassins Creed IV : Black Flag.
Raven's Cry was universally panned, and has a Metacritic score of 27 based on 16 reviews. The game's reception led to Reality Pump releasing a re-worked version of the game titled Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry, and owners of the original were given this version as a free update. However, like the original, it was also met with negative reception.
In his review of the game, Zangado Games stated "There isn't a single glitch in this game. Actually, there is a game in this glitch."
Angry Joe listed this game as #1 of his 10 Worst Games of 2015 list. Similarly DXFan619 listed this game as #1 of his own Top 15 WORST Games of 2015 list and in his review of this game explained that Steam does not care about bad games being put on its marketplace.