Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is a third-person shooter video game for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, co-developed by Slant Six Games and Capcom. It was released on March 20, 2012 in North America, March 22, 2012 in Australia, March 23, 2012 in Europe and April 26, 2012 in Japan.
Why it sucks
- This game feels and plays more like a SOCOM with zombies rather than a Resident Evil title. There is barely any strategy, you just shoot everything that moves.
- Horrible team mate Artificial Intelligence.
- Many bugs and glitches.
- Cumbersome controls.
- Poor camera.
- Bad mission design. For example, in one of the levels you have to pass through graveyard, with hordes of zombies coming out of places like small crypts.
- Bad online gameplay experience.
- Retro pre-rendered sequences.
- Undetailed character models.
- Unimpressive set pieces.
- Stock generic playable characters.
- Little enemy variety. Often when fighting zombies, you will see a LOT of the same zombie model(s) in the hordes.
- Human enemies are such bullet-sponges that even headshots barely help.
IGN's review stated "An actual zombie outbreak would have been less tragic," calling the game "little more than a poor man's SOCOM and a destitute man's Resident Evil." GameSpot echoed these sentiments, stating that the game "is a frighteningly flawed action-heavy spin-off that withers in the shadow of its superior alternatives".
Edge gave the game a 3 out of 10, concluding that "it’s hard to see what this distinctly low budget shooter has to offer beyond yet another return visit to already blood-saturated and well-trodden ground." Game Revolution even went as far as to say that the game has hurt the Resident Evil brand name, and that the game "should never have had the Resident Evil name attached to it. It smacks of purely business-oriented decision-making.
GamesTM gave the game 3/10, criticising the teammate AI, glitches, and unimaginative set pieces after having played the single player mode. GamesTM would revisit the game after its release to review online options, and largely came to the same conclusions, criticising the poor AI and mission design, although they did state that the game was better online than offline. Once again, they awarded the game 3/10. Eurogamer called it an "under-designed and under-produced nightmare...that delivers the bare minimum in every category." GamesRadar summed up its review with "poor design choices, narrative missteps, and technical issues combine to make this one of the worst Resident Evil games to date." Game Informer ended their review with "Not even online play is enough of a reason to warrant checking out this botched experiment with the Resident Evil brand.