Resident Evil Gaiden is an action-adventure game for the Game Boy Color co-developed by Capcom and M4, and first released on December 14, 2001. The story revolves around a viral outbreak on a passenger ship and has Leon S. Kennedy and Barry Burton return as protagonists.
Why it sucks
- Areas are explored with the playable character seen from a top-down perspective, while battles are fought in first-person view where the succseful hit depends on how lucky you are to hit the needed spot, while marker runs in left and right.
- Much like Resident Evil Survivor, puzzles are limited to collecting keys and items only.
- Visual presentation detracts from the intended creepy atmosphere.
- Unpractical save system for a handheld game (the player can save only at limited save points).
- Clumsy controls and navigation.
- Repetitive enemies and boss fights.
- Awful music.
- Awesome title screen music, which plays also as the final boss BGM.
- Well-made plotline with a completely unexpected and thrilling ending.
- If the Gas Launcher is not used, the final boss turns to be a pretty nice challenge.