Ruff Trigger: The Vanocore Conspiracy is a 2006 action-platform video game developed by Playstos Entertainment and published by Natsume in North America and by ZOO Digital Publishing in Europe for the PlayStation 2. The game was released in North America on June 28, 2006 and in Europe on August 25, 2006.
Why it Sucks
- The back of the box mistakenly says that a save file takes 110MB! A PS2 Memory card only holds up to 8MB.
- Obvious rip-off of the Ratchet & Clank series. The game very conveniently began development the same year the first Ratchet & Clank game was released.
- Soundtrack also feels like a Ratchet & Clank ripoff.
- The plot is also a complete rip-off of Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando. Genetically engineered pets that become destructive and aggresive threaten the entire galaxy and late in the game mutate into big monsters? Not subtle at all!
- The game also rips off the "Dark Jak" form from Jak II with Ruff's Werewolf form, except the Werewolf can be used at any time without any restriction.
- The main character Ruff comes off as a moronic cliche character. One particularly infamous example: When Ruff finds a box filled with a clearly toxic substance in chemistry tubes next to a crashed ship, first thing he does is to immediately drink the substance!
- Awkward controls with floaty jumping.
- Lame weapon selection, and to unlock them you need to level up which takes too long.
- Currency is too easy to obtain.
- Enemies take too much ammo to defeat.
- You can spam the attack button in the Werewolf form to stunlock every enemy in the game until they die.
- The core mechanic of rescuing "Piglots" is very tedious. All you do is pick them up and take them to a portal over and over until a locked door opens. The game tries to have variety by using different types of Piglots but it's not real variety. Regardless of the type of Piglot, you're still just picking them up and taking them to the door.
- Enemies can't hit you as long as you're moving, regardless of how slow you're walking.
- Armageddon, a recurring boss battle, is extremely easy. It literally can be defeated in less than 10 seconds every single time!
- Frustrating bosses.