Sega Reactor (or Sega Mega Drive Reactor) is a system made by JungleTac (also called JungleSoft) and ATgames with licensing from Sega to make a console that plays Sega Genesis games.
Comparing and Contrasting to the Zone 60
The console's case, controllers, and even the shape of the box were reused from the Zone 60. The manual also looks similar to a Zone Console manual. Notably, the AV cables had stereo sound, and the Power Adapter was a large brick. The buttons were also changed. Zone 60 had A on left, B on bottom, X (Turbo A) on top, and Y (Turbo B) on the bottom. With this system, the buttons were rotated counterclockwise, meaning A was on bottom, B was on right, X was on left, and Y was on top (This layout matches the button layout for X-Box systems.
Reactor also has shoulder buttons (C for left, Z for right), which Zone 60 lacks. The Reactor controller lacked vibration, which Zone 60 had. The Reactor Controller also lacks the hole for accessories, which Zone 60 had. Reactor does not have any snap-on accessories so this makes sense. The strap is grey on Reactor, and on Zone 60 is was black.
All of these reasons that the consoles had similar features is because the European prototype of the system, the Zone Sega (Sega Zone), is basically the same thing. JungleTac made the Zone 60, so they probably just decided to reuse Zone 60 cases, as well as Zone 40 and Zone Mini games.
Why it sucks / Why it flopped
- Absolutely horrendous sound quality, similar to the AtGames Sega Genesis Plug n' Plays.
- The frame rate was also a little bit slower than the original Sega Genesis.
- There is input delay partially due to the wireless controllers using infrared technology, and also due to the emulation of the console.
- It reused games from other bad systems (Zone 40, Zone Mini, and ATgames Sega Genesis) which meant this system had no real purpose.
- Worst of all, the Sega Reactor is basically a Zone console that is compatible with Genesis games. Which in turn, is a Nintendo Wii ripoff.
- 20 licensed Sega Genesis games
- Kid Chameleon
- Chakan: The Forever Man
- Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
- Sonic & Knuckles
- Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
- Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
- Comix Zone
- Altered Beast
- Arrow Flash
- Bonanza Bros.
- The Ooze
- Crack Down
- Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
- Ecco the Dolphin
- ESWAT: City Under Siege
- Fatal Labyrinth
- Gain Ground
- Golden Axe
- Jewel Master
- 16 Interactive Sports Games from the Zone 40 and Zone Mini
- Sword Of Warrior
- Super Shoot
- Ping Pong
- Beach Volleyball
- 14 Arcade Games (Genesis games produced by TecToy and AtGames)
- Jack's Pea
- Warehouse Keeper
- Naval Power
- Mr Balls
- Bottle Taps Racer
- Air Hockey
- Fight & Lose