Spark Unlimited was a video game developer founded in March 2002 by former developers of the Medal of Honor franchise. The company was wholly owned by employees and based in Sherman Oaks, California
The studio was shut down in May 2015 and all employees were laid off, with all in-development projects being cancelled.
List of Games Developed
- Call of Duty: Finest Hour (2004)
- Turning Point: Fall of Liberty (2008)
- Legendary (2008)
- Lost Planet 3 (2013)
- Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (2014; developed alongside Team Ninja and Comcept)
Why Their Games Sucked
Note: Spark Unlimited was known for the well received Call of Duty: Finest Hour.
- Paper-thin plots (except for Lost Planet 3).
- Repetitive level design and environments.
- Many scripted events.
- Padded out to extreme lengths.
- Bland combat mechanics.
- What sparks of originality that are in their games are either underutilized or misused.
- Weak visuals.
- Braindead enemy AI.
- Many invisible walls.
- Mediocre audio (except for Lost Planet 3).
- By-the-numbers multiplayer modes.
- Mismanagement; the company frequently laid off employees during projects since they often hired too many people. They also juggled money between two teams when it can only afford one team, and either disappointed or angered every publisher they worked with.
- Managed to kill the long running Ninja Gaiden series.