Super Mario Bros. Special is a video game released by Hudson Soft in 1986 for the Japanese PC-88 and Sharp X1 home computers. It is an expansion pack for Super Mario Bros. for the NES and adds some new items, powerups and levels. It also features various enemies from previous Mario games.
Why it Sucks
- Slow gameplay.
- Eye-searingly terrible colors due to hardware limitations.
- There are some pipes that look like a secret warp, but lead to nowhere.
- A terrible and primitive scrolling system: if Mario reaches the end of the screen, the screen will go black and show the next part of the level.
- Awkwardly placed invisible coin blocks which can lead to cheap deaths.
- Several bugs and glitches.
- Frustrating difficulty.
- Some copies of the PC-88 version are missing the data necessary to trigger the IPL switch to load World 8-4. Because of this, after clearing World 8-3, the game will manage to show a blank screen saying "DISK ERROR! PLEASE TURN IPL SWITCH ON", which makes the game unbeatable.
- Horrible ending.
- It does not include Luigi or a multiplayer mode.
- Includes Items exclusive to this game and Enemies from Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. Like the Hammer, Barrels, Sidesteppers, Fighter Flies, and The Hudson Soft Bee.
- The Star is shown with a Smile.
- The graphics are faithful to the original game.
- One fan remade it as a ROM hack of the original Super Mario Bros. The ROM hack is a lot easier to play than the original.