Super Mario Bros. Special is a video game released by Hudson Soft in 1986 for the Japanese PC-88 and Sharp X1 home computers. It is a port of Super Mario Bros. for the NES and adds some new items, powerups and levels. It also features various enemies from previous Mario games.
Why it Sucks
- Slow gameplay.
- Eye-searingly terrible colors due to hardware limitations.
- There are some pipes that look like a secret warp, but lead to nowhere.
- A terrible and primitive scrolling system: if Mario reaches the end of the screen, the screen will go black and show the next part of the level.
- Awkwardly placed invisible coin blocks which can lead to cheap deaths.
- Several bugs and glitches.
- Frustrating difficulty.
- Some copies of the PC-88 version are missing the data necessary to trigger the IPL switch to load World 8-4. Because of this, after clearing World 8-3, the game will manage to show a blank screen saying "DISK ERROR! PLEASE TURN IPL SWITCH ON", which makes the game unbeatable.
- Horrible ending.
- It does not include Luigi or a multiplayer mode.