Winter Games was a video game released on several consoles such as the Commodore 64, the Atari 2600 and 7800, and the NES.
Though Winter Games was a high selling game and most ports were favorably received, the NES/Famicom Disk System port was critically panned.
Why It Sucks
Note: NES port only
- While the other ports of Winter Games had 7 or 8 events, the NES version had only 4 (just like the Atari 7800 version) due to hardware limitations .
- The NES port has some of the most unresponsive controls to ever be put into a video game, to the point that most of the events use only the D-pad and button-mashing is the only way to do anything in them. Making the B button useless in the game.
- Horrible music.
- The opening cutscene lasts way too long and can't be skipped. In spite of this, the game has the gall to include an option to watch it again in the main menu.
- Names on the high-score table can only be up to 4 letters long. Trying to add a fifth letter will replace the first letter, and you'll have to retype in your old letters to try again. You cannot move the cursor vertically, which makes it more tedious than it has to be.
- Hideous graphics, consisting mainly of desaturated colors.
- In an unrelated note: Why is it called "Hot Dog Aerials" while this sport is essentially ski jumping?